Every student has experienced sleepless nights because of exams. In fact, a lot of time and effort is invested while preparing for exams and sometimes the result is not even close to expectations. Not just that, sometimes the result is even worse than others who haven’t been working as hard. All this makes a student desperate and hatred towards the subject is developed. Maintaining focus becomes difficult and finding solutions on how to overcome fear of exam becomes necessary.
Exam fear is similar to a wave. It starts with the announcement of the exam date, rises to the peak on the night prior to the exam and dips down as the exam is over. The night before the exam is a terror with the pressure of so many things to cover at the last minute. When the question paper is received, the mind seems to become blank with anxiety until the process of writing answers begins. This fear may continue till the day of the results. The entire condition is referred to as ‘Exam Fear’.
Before you start overcoming fear of exams, it is important that you find the reason of fear. The cause of fear varies from student to student and only when you identify the trigger can you adopt a solution. The common causes that might be flowing inside you include:
- Fear of failure
- Fear of the unknown
- Fear due to low self-confidence
Eliminating fear lies in the hands of the student. It is all dependent on how you utilize your potential. Every individual has gotten the same brain from god; it is just that successful people utilized it in the most efficient manner. Never fear failure and be confident of the self. Winners don’t do different things; they just do things differently.
Steps for overcoming fear of exams
As soon as you face the problem of how to overcome fear of exam, it is important that you remember these steps and implement them:
- Plan it. According to a popular saying, “If you fail to plan, then you are planning to fail.” Therefore, it is extremely vital to plan every activity being performed. Plan your study schedule and know what you are going to do when.
- Start preparations in advance. Your study schedule should be planned in a manner that you are well prepared on the day of the exam. Try and solve previous year papers and online test series. This can only be done if you start in advance and have proper time with no last minute panics.
- Time management is the key to success and the factor that distinguishes winners from losers. The ability to manage time is crucial while preparing for exams and while attempting questions.
- Understand concepts and don’t just learn in parrot-fashion. If you ever forget sentences that you have mugged up, answering the question properly will become a challenge.
- Plan breaks during study schedule. Studies have shown that topics studied in the beginning and in the ending are recalled for long time. So remember to take breaks at regular intervals and plan lots of starts and ends.
- Indulge in routines of physical exercise. The flow of blood into the brain improves when your body exercises. This way you can concentrate more and for longer.
- Study when it is suitable for you. Do not follow tips on exam preparation given by others when it comes to time of study. You may be a morning person who can grasp more in the refreshed environment while another student may be a night person who can finish topics quickly at the end of the day. Study as per your convenience.
The intensity of exam fear varies from person to person depending on how prepared they are. Just be ready and there will no longer be any exam fear.
Also Read: Motivational Quotes for Students